Gnocchi (pronounced neo-key) are miniature Italian dumplings filled with meat or cheese and served with sauce. These little balls of heaven are incredibly popular in Italy and have recently made their way to North America, where they’ve quickly become one of the most popular comfort foods around.
Gnocchi is not the cheapest, and having leftovers is a waste if you throw them away. Eating them cold is not an option, so we had to find a solution for the problem.
We have tested a couple of methods to reheat gnocchi, and multiple came out very successful. Below, you will be able to find multiple methods that you can use to reheat your leftover gnocchi, of which a couple only take a few minutes.
Reheating your gnocchi using a microwave
The easiest, and also fastest, way is by using a microwave. This process only takes up about two minutes, after which you can enjoy your tasty dish.
Reheating gnocchi in the microwave goes like this:
- Grab a microwave-proof container or deep plate and spread your gnocchi across it.
- Put the microwave on medium heat and wait about 45 seconds.
- Stir them a bit, turn them over and repeat the process for another 30-45 seconds, after which they’re ready to eat.
Pros of using a microwave
Your reheated gnocchi is ready within less than a couple of minutes, which is a lot faster than the other methods explained in our guide.
Cons of using a microwave
It’s never very tasty to reheat dough-ish food in the microwave. It could come out pretty soggy, which is a big downside of using the microwave.
Using your oven to reheat leftover gnocchi
This method will take up a bit more time, but the result is well worth it.
Here is how you reheat gnocchi in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take your gnocchi and spread it in a container that’s safe for in the oven.
- Optional: add some extra spices or toppings to your liking.
- Cover the container with foil, and let it heat for about 7-8 minutes.
Pros of using the oven
Using the oven to reheat your gnocchi produces the same tasty result as we’ve seen with the microwave. These two methods are by far the best picks.
Cons of using the oven
You need to have patience, as it takes about 10-15 minutes before you can enjoy your reheated food.
Using the stovetop to reheat gnocchi
Using a frying pan on the stovetop is another way to reheat gnocchi that does not take up a lot of time.
Reheat gnocchi on the stove like so:
- Grab your gnocchi and put it in a non-stick frying pan.
- Add any sauce or topping of your liking while repeatedly stirring the meal.
- Check the temperature of your gnocchi after a couple of minutes, and decide if it’s necessary to reheat it for a couple more minutes.
Pros of using the stovetop
Using the stovetop is a time-saving way of reheating your gnocchi. The whole process can be done in less than 5 minutes.
Cons of using the stovetop
When comparing this method with the microwave or oven method, the only con is that you create extra dishes, which is not really necessary if you have a microwave. This method makes your gnocchi taste the worst out of all three (it’s still good, but the worst of the three).